04 March 2012

Books that changed my life: #8

Please excuse my random absence. I have to get better at this blogging thing.
Anywho, next in line is Divergent by Veronica Roth


This book is fairly new and to be honest, I hadn't heard of it until I stumbled across her blog. I don't remember exactly, but I was reading through her posts, I do that when I really like a blog. At first, I was only reading because I like to learn more about the writing process. You know, what works, what doesn't.
Then I realized two things.

1. She was in college when she wrote Divergent. (If I'm not mistaken)

2. She was fairly young when she got published!

Let me explain why that is important to me. During my high school days, only a mere year ago, I always dreamed that I would be published by 21. I know that seems like a very young age, but it was, is, my dream, but as I read more and more, I realized that I might not get published that early...or published at all for that matter. To my eighteen year old mind, having to find a job, continue through school, and work on a manuscript just seemed outrageous. Why find a job that I would probably hate when the only thing I want to do is write? Then I learn about Divergent, written by a college student.

That was like a changing factor in my life. I know that I still might not be published by 21, but I know that it is now a possibility. I'm keeping my dream alive.

Now as far as the book goes...

To be honest, I hardly read anything Dystopian. Of course there are great Dystopians out there, I just never read one. I assume it's because of my obsession with the supernatural that I hardly read about humans. *Shrug. 

The characters felt real to me, which is something I  always want when I read a book. I want to be able to visualize myself in the protagonist's shoes. 
I could see myself picking Dauntless. I could see myself being Divergent. I could see myself learning to fight and carry guns etc. etc. I could understand why Tris made some of the decisions that she did.
Through Tris' world, I could see bits of our current day's society. The need for power one of the biggest things. Overall, I thought Divergent was one of my favorite books of 2011.

One thing I really liked about Divergent is the fact that it's written in 1st person present. If you don't know what I mean, instead of saying "I was." it's written like "I am." Not implying that any of you are not smart enough to figure that out. *Grin.

(This post is getting long.) One last note, if I were to ever meet this author, I would thank her. Why? Because at 19, my dream to become published is a possibility, and she helped me believe it can happen.

Thanks for reading,
Ashley.


**Just in case she happens to read this. THANK YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...