19 December 2011

Ringers

I've always enjoyed books that capture me from the first few lines. It's even better if it's the first line. Over the years as more novels grace my hands I realize just how important that might be for the readers. Perhaps when you're well established, you can have the privilege of having a slow start because of the loyal fan base, but us new authors have to hook readers (and Literary agents) from the first paragraph.


So here it is!


Some of my favorite beginnings.


PARANORMAL ROMANCE


1. "Kill that baby!" Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon


This is the first novel I read by Sherrilyn Kenyon a couple years ago. I was at the library, browsing the romance section (*shrug) and there it was, looking like a tome to my young mind. I checked it out only because of its massive size, I must admit. I remember making it home, sitting on my couch with it perched on my lap. 
"Let's get going then," I said with a sigh.
Those were the first words I read and I didn't put the book down until I was done. Now I own every novel in the dark-hunter/dream-hunter/were-hunter series. (That's a lot by the way!)


2. "Every night death came, slowly, painfully, and every morning Maddox awoke in bed, knowing he'd have to die again later." The Darkest Night by Gena Showalter


I mean come on! How better can it get than that?! Immediately I'm thinking, what the hell did this guy do to die every night. I picked this one up around the same time as Acheron, same library. (I use to check out like 30 books at a time.) This one was a one sitting read too. And yes, if you're wondering, I have every novel in the Lords of the Underworld series. I actually think I have every book by Gena Showalter. I'll check my stacks and let you know.


3. "The first rule of being a mercenary? Find out what the client wants, then convince him that a) you can get it for him, and b) you're the only one who can get it for him. Second rule? Lie. Often. The truth rarely serves you well in this business." Dark Desires After Dusk by Kresley Cole


This is my hands down favorite novel by Kresley Cole. I absolutely adored Cade's character. (This is a quote by him actually.) This wasn't my first read by Kresley Cole, however. I don't remember exactly, but I think my first read was Pleasures of a Dark Prince.
It's a funny story how I found Kresley Cole's novels. I was reading the newest novel by Gena Showalter called Into the Dark and in the back she had an interview (done by Kresley) and she recommended her. I rarely pick up random novels anymore (unless I'm in the library where I can return it if I don't enjoy it.) Surprisingly, I bought Kresley's newest novel at the time which was Pleasure of a Dark Prince. Oh the joy after reading that novel! I've always enjoyed accents. No matter the country, I find accents fascinating. (Perhaps because I'm American and my "accent" sounds plain.) Every one of Kresley's male leads has an accent!! Whether Gaelic, South African (Aiden is South African actually), it doesn't matter.
I think I wrote a letter to Gena thanking her for recommending Kresley and a letter to Kresley just thanking her for being a writer. I never sent them though. I didn't want to seem like a creeper.


4. "Had Eidolon been anywhere but the hospital, he would have killed the guy pleading for his life before him." Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione


For some reason, I have a habit of stumbling upon series (plural) in the middle. I started with Acheron (Kenyon), Dark Desires After Dusk (Cole), thus making me go back and read the books prior to fully understand what's going on (and spend a lot more money now that I enjoy the series). I picked up Larissa Ione's Demonica series in Wal-Mart. My sister was buying me two books and I think I picked up one by Cole and then I saw the cover for Ecstasy Unveiled. Reading the back, I was like okay, whatever, I'll get it because it sounds good. (One of only two times that I have done this.) It was great!


YOUNG ADULT


1. "Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much."Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling


Enough said...


Okay, no really, I actually refused to read Harry Potter. I just didn't understand what the hype was. A weird boy, in wizarding school? Sounds sketchy at best, but my younger brother forced me to read it and I'm glad he did. Words can't fully describe how awesome this series is.
Just so you have a clear timeline, I didn't read the first Harry Potter novel until 2009. (Yes, I know. You may close your mouth now.)


2. "There is one mirror in my house." Divergent by Veronica Roth


I'd been following Veronica Roth's blog (here) for a while before I actually bought the book. I went to amazon and decided to read the first chapter. I've never been a big fan of sci-fi (t's just not me), but when I closed it down, I kept thinking about it, wondering where the story was going to go. To make a long story short, my mom got me the book as a college present (random).


3. "Alice was beginning to get very tivred of sitting by here sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do: once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it, 'and what is the use of a book,' thought Alice 'without pictures or conversation?' " Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll


What is the point indeed! (Kidding). I did not read Lewis Carroll as a child like most others. I read his work when I became much older and I have far more appreciated it now than I would have before. Some may view Alice's Adventures in Wonderland as nonsense, oh but it is so much more. In my Literature class, this is the novel I chose to do my Literary Criticism Paper on...I got an A.


These are only a few of my favorite beginnings. As you know, there are plenty more. I'd love if you'd drop me a line below with some of your favorites.
Thanks for reading!


Cheers!
-AshMash


PS
I can quote Jabberwocky like nobody's business.!!!!

4 comments:

  1. The one that immediately springs to mind is ‘Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again’. The opening line from Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (I love that book!) but I also love Alice in Wonderland and Harry Potter so would chose those opening lines as well.
    Barbara
    marchhousebookscom.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read Rebecca, but I will surely check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Jabberwocky and used to be able to quote it too!
    I like this idea of choosing your favorite first lines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post! What a treat getting to read so many amazing openings. I enjoyed your reasons for selecting them. I also resisted HP for a while, but once I started the first one- I was hooked. Excellent opening- reading it here made me smile. Thanks for sharing!

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...